ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Christmas Sock-ing

I decided to knit both Kyle's socks at the same time on once circular. Because he has size 11 feet, I decided to use contrasting yarn for the ribbing/toes/heels to make my sock yarn go further. To get a bit of practice, I started swatching the 2 yarns on the same circ, and quickly discovered that not only was the colour matching off: But the 4 ply Kroy was also a bit thicker than the Sweet Sheep yarn.
Friday I went to my LYS, and wasn't able to find any yarn that would be a good contrast. Since I had some time to kill (despite Friday being a day off, I had done a quick procedure on a somewhat fragile patient, and I wanted to stay near the hospital until I knew that she'd recover enough to go home that afternoon - lucky I did, because I ended up having to admit her overnight), I went to the other yarn store in town. Their stock is a bit more traditional, and there were several solid coloured yarns; I found this Sisu sock yarn that is perfect in thickness and colour:


I cast on, and worked on it Friday evening. By Saturday morning, I had gotten this much done.
Got Kyle to try them on, and it was pretty tough to get them over his heel. Sigh. Frogged them, cast on an extra 6 stitches per sock, and started over. I think I'm going to use the "ribbing of doom" pattern, because I want to do something nice and simple to minimize the chance of getting screwed up.

Comments on "Christmas Sock-ing"

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Sun Dec 03, 03:04:00 PM EST) : 

Wow, that color matches perfectly. Men and their feet. Sigh. Now you know why I haven't cast on any socks for my hubby yet.

 

Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said ... (Sun Dec 03, 04:26:00 PM EST) : 

The ribof doom sounds a good idea as it is pretty stretchy as well, which by the sounds of it may be helpful. I have two more pairs of socks to knit for xmas - both for people with bigger feet than me.

 

Blogger Sandi Purl said ... (Mon Dec 04, 01:35:00 PM EST) : 

sock on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon Dec 04, 02:05:00 PM EST) : 

Package arrived!! Just peaking in Oh-so-quickly before I run out the door...off to Prism Yarn's once a year open house/sell off the ends of lots sale!! I'll be back later!

 

post a comment