ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Fit issues

I have finished knitting the body of the Knoroyven, but am having trouble with the neckline:

May 3
I have no idea what size the average 2 year old skull is, but I think it's significantly larger than the neck opening was once I cast off.
Collar
I have ripped back and re-cast off this neckline about 4 times. I tried a larger needle (too small), a picot bind off (too floppy), a "stretchy cast off"(too small), and the "stretchy cast off" with a larger needle (still too small). See no evil
Somerset couldn't bear to watch it anymore. I plan to try an i-cord bind off next.

I also demonstrated that gauge can affect baby garments:
First bsj
This is a BSJ knit at a gauge of 7 stitches per inch - newborn size is supposed to be knit at 6 stitches per inch. (In my defence, this was a travel knitting project - I guessed at the needle size that would work, and did not bring a ruler along. So it wasn't until I got home that I could measure my gauge.) Again, I am quite sketchy on how large the average baby is, but I am thinking that the jacket should be bigger than a skein of yarn (not that it should use a skein of yarn, but the dimensions should be greater). I guess this size would work OK for a preemie, but given that the baby is due some time in June, that doesn't help me.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Fit issues"

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Sun May 10, 10:56:00 PM EDT) : 

I've got a couple of ufo's that are sitting waiting patiently for me to fix their size issues. Ick. But I love the cou=lourway on the teeny tiny baby surprise jacket. What is it?

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Mon May 11, 06:24:00 AM EDT) : 

I wish I could help you with 2 y.o. head size...but my kids both have crazy large heads that aren't the norm apparently.

Summer babies are the hardest to knit for!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon May 11, 09:51:00 AM EDT) : 

I've heard of similar travails happening to other BSJ knitters, so I don't think you're alone - but I think you're right about the baby head size and that bigger/stretchier neck openings are best!

 

Anonymous Melissa said ... (Mon May 11, 11:44:00 AM EDT) : 

An i-cord bind off will be pretty firm, which you may have discovered already. What about cutting a small steek vertically down the back, picking up and doing a couple of buttons or snaps back there? A lot of the baby clothes I have are styled like that.

The BSJ is super cute at that super tiny size. Maybe it's a jacket for baby's stuffed animal... Find a bear to fit and voila!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Mon May 11, 03:11:00 PM EDT) : 

Have you tried binding off by knitting two together, putting the resulting stitch back on the needle, then K2tog, repeat? It gives a much stretchier edge that also looks very neat. Btw, an average 2 year old head is about 15-16 inches.

Barb

 

Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said ... (Fri May 15, 02:55:00 AM EDT) : 

I think maybe you have to make the straps a little longer in order to make the opening larger to begin with. Then I'd try the sewn bind off. It's the stretchiest one for me. Here's the description that I managed to follow. (I didn't manage to understand EZ's description.) http://weebleknits.blogspot.com/2003/05/stretchy-bind-offs.html

 

post a comment