ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Playground.

I think it's a universal phenomenon...
Threads 32T d
...get a large enough group of elementary school-aged girls together, and one of them becomes the leader, even if no leader is needed...
Threads 32T b
...said leader issues missives about what is and isn't appropriate game to play/clothing to wear/food to eat/toys to own/nickname to have, and so on... threads 32T
...she sometimes selects ladies in waiting from amongst the syncophants while those who do not fall under her spell are labelled weird, and are often shunned by the others...
Threads 31t e
I plan to knit myself a Tuscany shawl; I'm going to cast on August 8 when the Beijing Olympics begin, and hope to cast off by August 25th when the Olympics end.
Threads 31Td
But apparently I cannot call this a Knitting Olympics project.
Threads 31T

Because Someone Has Deemed Knitting a Winter Sport, and thus "The Knitting Olympics Will Only Occur Every Four Years".
threads for tuscany 3

But you know what? Even though people can devote large amounts of , effot and money to it, and even shed blood, sweat, and/or tears as a part of it, Knitting isn't a sport.

threads for tuscany 2
It's a hobby.
It's an art.
It's a craft.
It is a means to make a living/express one's creativity/relieve stress/pass the time/do something charitable/whatever.

But it is not, and in it's current manifestation, never will be a sport.

Neither is NASCAR, but that's a different discussion altogether.

Labels: ,

Comments on "The Playground."

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Wed Jul 30, 06:50:00 AM EDT) : 

Ha ha, I was just going to mention Nascar! ;-)

Did she trademark Knitting Olympics? Good grief. If people didn't knit in summer we'd be cold in winter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Jul 30, 06:51:00 AM EDT) : 

Screw 'em if they can't take a joke. Knit on! Perhaps I'll join you. I've got some shawl mojo going.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Wed Jul 30, 07:34:00 AM EDT) : 

LOL, my daughter Kaity knit all through high school, and one of her friends asked her, "Isn't that an old lady sport?" Pshaw!

 

Blogger Aunt Kathy said ... (Wed Jul 30, 09:38:00 AM EDT) : 

Uh oh I like NASCAR, will I now be banned from the blog, LOL

 

Blogger katerina said ... (Wed Jul 30, 12:58:00 PM EDT) : 

You could always do the Ravelympics - Ravelry's summer knitting olympics!

 

Blogger Dreams of Yarn said ... (Wed Jul 30, 03:33:00 PM EDT) : 

Havent seen you at SnB lately, hope to see you back soon!

 

Blogger Chelle said ... (Wed Jul 30, 07:59:00 PM EDT) : 

Ok, curling is a winter activity and many folks don't consider that a sport...am I just muddying the water?? lol

Semantics aside, your yarn is a gorgeous colour.

 

Blogger Bluebird49 said ... (Thu Jul 31, 01:20:00 AM EDT) : 

Hi Ladylungdoc--I'm Ellen, or Trudy (I answer to both) and I won one of your contest prizes for using a light days oval pad boz for yarn-hidin'! For some reason, I couoldn't get an e-mail TO you, so if you just send me a message to:
toppingoff55@yahoo.com. with your return e-mail addy on it, maybe I can get you my snailmail addy very soon.Sorry I couldn't do the math on your e-mail, I guess! Oh, well--can't wait to get a surprise--I LOVE them--do we not ALL like surprise YARN??

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (Thu Jul 31, 10:45:00 PM EDT) : 

Hehe..well said!! As for that yarn, it will become a gorgeous Tuscany! Good luck! :)

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Fri Aug 01, 04:31:00 PM EDT) : 

It will be a lovely shawl! Come join the Rav Olympics!

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (Fri Aug 01, 04:31:00 PM EDT) : 

It will be a lovely shawl! Come join the Rav Olympics!

 

Blogger jacquieblackman said ... (Sun Aug 03, 02:37:00 PM EDT) : 

I'm giving you the gold just for doing it. If I can dig out some knitting maybe I'll join you in your free form Knitting Olympic event.

 

Blogger jacquieblackman said ... (Sun Aug 03, 02:40:00 PM EDT) : 

Oh... and I forgot to mention how I like your moxie!

;-)

 

post a comment