ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Imagine there's no heaven...

There seems to be a ripple of excitement through the knitting blogosphere at the upcoming publication of a certain Famous Internet Knitter's new book. Said knitter appears to be fanning the flames by encouraging a show of "knitting force" (and a disclosure of salaries, apparently.) I'm waiting for the proclamation that Knitting is now more popular than Religion (or that someone is more popular than J*sus, or maybe the V#rgin M@ry)

You know, if 100% of the sales of the new book on that day were donated to charity(and some percentage of all sales thereafter), I wouldn't have a bad taste in my mouth about this. Because let's face it; there are thousands of blog postings every day that tell funny/heartwarming/instructive/cautionary tales of life and knitting and how the 2 intertwine. Do we really need to cut down more trees so that another book full of them can be published?

Cue booming voice: "Get over thine self!!!"

Labels: ,

Comments on "Imagine there's no heaven..."

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Thu Feb 22, 03:54:00 PM EST) : 

Oh I totally hear you. I guess I don't get the hype either. There are many different knit bloggers I'd rather see get paid for what they do because their stories are waaay better.

Hey I've got you down for Feb's drawing. Hopefully I'll have an address for you by the weekend as well.

 

Blogger Yvette said ... (Fri Feb 23, 09:44:00 PM EST) : 

Hmm...I got a different read from her post. I think she was expressing frustration at not being taken seriously as women (who happen to knit). Have experienced that myself ("Yes 30 knitters will show up and order food and drinks." Then 30 knitters show up to a table for 10.)
That being said, I am never in favour of hero worship and groupie-ism, which does seem to be becoming a factor here. I do prefer to choose my own charities.

 

Blogger Fiberjoy said ... (Mon Feb 26, 11:20:00 PM EST) : 

The picture of the light pouring through the clouds is stunning! That would make an incredible large framed picture.

For some reason I always thought you lived in the east.

Until a year+ ago I worked in libraries. The amount of drivel spread across volumes of sheets of paper rather dampened the desire to be a writer. Hmm, I'd best not be too critical as I've since then written a small how-to book on spindling, still I know what you mean.

It is mind-boggling how we are prone to be a flock of sheep following the crowd.

Last Saturday I went to a Yarn-In where the focus was donating warm items to local kidney dialysis centers. That captured my heart. It's good to help our neighbors in need.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tue Feb 27, 08:09:00 PM EST) : 

I just want to say that I think you were brave to say this; I shared your feeling that there was a strong degree of self-serving behavior involved in this latest effort.

I actually don't think there's anything wrong with self-promotion, but I think here the "cause" is completely trumped-up and I don't like the transparent-self-promotion-cloaked-with-noble-cause angle. Just my opinion.

The knitting/yarn/fiber industry is flagging, that's true (I work in my LYS a couple of days a week), but I don't think that having a few hundred folks show up to NYC and disclose their disposable income and buy a signed book is going to make a whit of difference.

I lived in NYC for seven years--the only thing that fazes that town is terrorist attacks. Seriously.

I can think of ways to help the industry, but they would involve spreading our money around, buying from local shops, getting to know local fiber artists and buying from them, etc.

I'm just sayin', is all.

Anyway, I applaud you, Lady Lung Doc. I also love my pulmonologist, so, um...good specialty! We wheezers need y'all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Fri Mar 02, 10:18:00 AM EST) : 

Wow, apparently I'm really out of the internet-knitting-loop these days.

And now I will spend the rest of the afternoon wondering, all the while reminding myself not to gossip.

Okay, gonna go look at your knitting now.

 

post a comment