ProjectSpectrumWh100

poppy_button

do+you+button

sos2007.thumbnail

100mi

Locations of visitors to this page

Watch this space...

My Photo
Name:

Trust me. I'm a doctor...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 15, 2009

Horticulture is my blind spot

I'm hoping that someone can identify this plant for me. Specifically, I am wondering if it is a weed:

Weed plant

Weed leaf
We had our front lawn replaced with a rock garden and some perennials last fall. The Gambler thinks that this is something that was planted, but I really don't think so (we didn't do the planting). It is creeping along the ground in a very weed-like manner, and there is no sign of any type of flower. It actually looks kind of sinister with its thick red stems - I have visions of it reaching out and grabbing my ankles.

I have tried various "weed identification" websites to no avail. And if I enter "weed black spot" into Google, I find all sorts of useful information about how to deal with a fungus that affects marijuana plants, but I am no further ahead in figuring this thing out.

Even if it's not a weed, I really don't like the look of the thing, but I hate to rip it out if it is just in an ugly duckling stage.

Comments on "Horticulture is my blind spot"

 

Blogger Batty said ... (Mon Jun 15, 10:14:00 PM EDT) : 

If it wilts and dies, I may be able to tell you. Due to my own horticultural ineptitude, I'm more of a horticultural forensic pathologist... I can tell you what it is and what killed it (usually me) once it's dead.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (Tue Jun 16, 06:51:00 AM EDT) : 

Yeah no clue, you could google for hours on that one!

 

Blogger Mary deB said ... (Tue Jun 16, 07:21:00 AM EDT) : 

I find that in my yard, too, and it seems to be harmless, but not really pretty. So, in my book, it's a weed.

 

Blogger MaƂgorzata said ... (Wed Jun 17, 04:25:00 PM EDT) : 

weed, definitely
rip it out

 

Blogger Carol said ... (Wed Jun 17, 04:43:00 PM EDT) : 

no clue, but it looks ugly, so that makes it a weed in my book.

 

Blogger Quasipsyco said ... (Wed Jun 17, 08:49:00 PM EDT) : 

I have always heard a weed is something that can not be used for food.

A quick web search provides a definition as an unsightly or unwanted plant.

:-)

 

Blogger Dianne said ... (Thu Jun 18, 06:09:00 PM EDT) : 

Looks like Tradescantia, also called Zebrina, also called Wandering Jew...can be pretty invasive. Might want to keep an eye on it!

 

post a comment